If you are interested in placing an ad, please email the Federation at admin@PAfederatedhumane.org. Employment listings are provided at no charge to member organizations.
SHELTER VETERINARIAN – SPCA OF LUZERNE COUNTY
Who We Are: We are a private, non-profit SPCA located in Wilkes Barre PA for the benefit of stray and unwanted pets of Luzerne County. We are open 6 days per week and provide adoption and intake services, euthanasia for personal pets and offer cremation and/or burial, humane education programs, public events, and cruelty investigations.
Our Mission is to prevent the cruelty of animals by providing:
- A Shelter to house unwanted and homeless pets.
- Adoption programs to place pets in to loving and permanent homes.
- Humane education programs to enlighten the community about animal welfare issues.
- Humane investigation and prosecution programs to address acts of animal cruelty.
POSITION SALARY RANGE: Commensurate with experience
REPORTS TO: Executive Director
- In concert with the management team, manage all medical care and health management programs for the shelter animals, including those temporarily in foster care, focusing on identification, treatment and prevention of health problems thereby increasing adoptions and decreasing adoption returns.
- Perform surgical procedures on shelter animals, as needed, (spay/neuter, hernia repair, growth removals, dental extractions).
- Maintain all established shelter medical standards, such as drug log/security, cleaning protocols, surgical procedures, medical protocols, etc.
- Ensure that LCSPCA is in compliance with all state and federal laws regarding the practice of shelter veterinary medicine on site.
- Maintain accurate and complete medical records, including those recorded in the shelter database (including treatments, examinations, test results, surgeries and outcomes) and other records required by local and state laws.
- Manage medical department operations at LCSPCA, including the preparation of the annual department budget and management of department staff (VTs, VAs, etc).
- Collaborate with the Executive Director regarding the composition and quantity of all animals brought to the shelter.
- Ensure all clinic areas are clean and suitable to perform sterile procedures/surgeries.
- Providing time management for surgeries and post surgical processes.
- Aid in the decisions of euthanasia for an animal, including performing euthanasia.
- Ordering and overseeing the accurate and effective ordering of clinic and shelter medical needs such as medication, equipment, medical tests and food.
- Cooperating collectively with the Education Department to produce educational videos for staff and the community via Facebook, “Shelter House Rocks.”
- Working collectively with the HSPOs to perform necropsies for cruelty investigation in addition to testifying in court.
- Working with the Education Department to administer vaccination and microchips at off-site clinics (up to 6 a year)
- Rotating responsibility in taking the On-call emergency phone; after hours contact with emergency personnel and NVRH to tend to any stray or injured animals.
- Working with the internal medical team in addition to staff
- Successful graduation from a Certified College of Veterinary Medicine and a valid license to practice veterinary medicine in the State of Pennsylvania.
- Valid DEA license.
EXPERIENCE, ABILITIES AND QUALITIES REQUIRED:
- Minimum of two years of experience working as a veterinarian in an animal facility.
- Shelter experience preferred, but not required
- Experience in providing spay/neuter services.
- Experience in managing staff and budgets are preferred.
- Effective written and verbal communication skills are required.
- Experience with PetPoint shelter software is desired.
- No allergic reactions resulting from close proximity to animals in the workplace.
- Ability to lift and move objects and animals weighing up to 50 pounds for short distances and to humanely restrain animals when necessary.
Please include cover letter in addition to resume.
Job Type: Full-time
- Veterinary: 2 years (Required)
- One location
- Health insurance
- Dental insurance
- Vision insurance
- Retirement plan(403B)
- Paid time off
- Professional development assistance
Please send cover letter and resume by email to email@example.com
VETERINARIAN – HUMANE PENNSYLVANIA
Humane Pennsylvania, headquartered in Reading, Pennsylvania, seeks veterinarians to join the expanding AAHA accredited veterinary practices managed by our organization in Berks and Lancaster Counties. Full and part-time positions are available and offer the best of both the private practice and animal welfare worlds. All positions offer competitive salary and benefits, and new graduates are welcomed. Humane Pennsylvania is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE.)
Please forward cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to:
Karel Minor, President/CEO
1729 N 11th St, Reading PA 19604